We partner with bada$$ companies that offer products that help our readers achieve their goals! If you purchase through our partner links, we get paid for the referral at no additional cost to you! Please read our disclosure for more info.
Ahrefs is owned by its founder and current chief executive officer (CEO) Dmitry Gerasimenko. According to the platform’s website, he authored the idea of Ahrefs as early as 2010. The website’s crawler processes over 8 billion pages a day.
This is significantly higher than Google bot. Its headquarters are found in Marina One East Tower, 7 Straits view, Singapore.
Ahrefs explained: What is Ahrefs?
Ahrefs is a software company that develops online SEO tools and free educational materials for marketing professionals. The SEO tools developed here help you carry out backlink analysis.
It is available to users many languages including English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese and Turkish.
The core features of the platform include:
1. Site Explorer.
This tool helps you get an in-depth look at the organic traffic and backlink profile of any website or URL.
It combines three important SEO research tools such as organic traffic research, backlink checker and paid traffic research. All of this is designed to understand the strategies that your competitors use.
2. Keywords Explorer.
This helps you discover keyword ideas for your website. You can also analyze their difficulty ranking and calculate their traffic potential.
The keywords are run through a database that has thousands of keyword suggestions collected from 10 different search engines and supported by over 170+ countries.
3. Site Audit.
This tool performs an audit so that you can get an exhaustive website analysis of what could be holding your website back.
You get a printable report investigating key issue like performance, HTML tags, social tags, content quality, localization, incoming links, outgoing links, resources and external pages.
4. Rank Tracker.
This tool lets you monitor your Google rankings on your preferred device across 170 countries. You can get access to timely reports or scheduled reports direct to your inbox.
The report contains a history of visibility, average position and traffic, and positions distribution.
5. Content Explorer.
This tool helps you search for the best content ideas from a database of 11 billion pages. You can filter the content by SEO and social metrics to identify ideas for your next marketing campaign.
You also get access to some free SEO tools like:
- Webmaster Tools. This lets you improve your website’s SEO performance and traffic from search. It is free for all website owners.
- Backlink Checker. This tool helps you get a complete breakdown of a website’s backlink profile. This is usually summarized in a backlink report.
- Broken link Checker. This tool helps you search and locate broken inbound and outbound links in a short time. You can also unbreak your broken pages, eliminate dead internal links, schedule the discovery of new broken links, find and fix broken redirects.
- Website Authority Checker. Using a metric called domain rating, you can measure the strength of a given domain. This is an SEO concept that stipulates the strength of a website ranging from zero to a hundred. The higher the score, the stronger the website is.
- Keyword Generator. This tool helps you find keywords on YouTube, Bing, Google and Amazon. You can filter the search to match a specific geographical area. You can also see the key SEO metrics in relation to that word.
- YouTube Keyword Tool. This helps you locate keywords that get more views on YouTube.
- Amazon Keyword Tool. This tool helps you identify keywords that are run through the Amazon marketplace from time to time. You also get a great analysis of how best to design your listings.
- Bing Keyword Tool. This helps you get more keywords from Bing. You can use these keywords to drive search traffic from Bing. This helps to analyze the keyword’s SEO potential.
- SERP Checker. This tool assists you in analyzing the top 10 rankings for any keyword in over 170 countries. You also get access to backlink metrics relating to domain rating, URL rating, backlinks count and domain count.
- SEO Tool Bar. This is a free extension that provides valuable SEO data on the pages you visit on Google and Firefox. You also get on-page SEO report, redirect tracer with HTTP, country changer for SERP and SERP positions.
- WordPress Plugin. Here, you can perform content audits, monitor backlinks and grow organic traffic for WordPress websites. You can also run content audits for your historic content as you incorporate WordPress plugin best practices.
- Keyword Rank Checker. This tool helps you see your keyword rank for your preferred country. This tool has been integrated in site explorer, rank tracker and keywords explorer.
- Keyword Difficulty Checker. Here, you can gauge your chances of getting into top 10 search results for any keyword. When you have run a keyword search, you generate content related to that specific keyword. However, your competitors might be websites with a stronger domain rating. This is the tool you use to check for that.
- Website Checker. A website checker is a combination of tools that gives you much needed functionality for the website. The functions include: monitoring your website’s SEO health, check for 100+ SEO issues, view all your backlinks, see all the keywords you rank for and find internal linking opportunities.
Every time you run the website checker, you get results for: health score of the website, performance based issues, technical problems and SEO errors.
Once the check is complete, you shall get an Email. This email shall describe what’s working and what isn’t. All the areas of interest are fixable.
Some of them just require you to use certain tools that have already been described above. At times, these are things that you can fix on your own.
This helps you to start improving your website day by day.
The website adds more features to its platform that include:
- Domain comparison
- Batch analysis
- Link intersect
- Content gap
- Email alerts
- SEO checker
- SEO software
- Word count
- Traffic checker
Ahrefs only has four pricing plans. You can either subscribe annually or monthly for its plans. They are described in detail below:
a) Lite subscription
This subscription costs $99 per month. If you choose to pay annually, you get access to the platform at a discounted fee of $83 per month amounting to just $990 for the year.
It is best suited for small businesses and hobby projects.
The features include:
- SEO dashboard
- Site explorer
- Keywords explorer
- Site audit
- Rank tracker
- 1 power user ($50 per month, $500 prepaid annually)
- Free inactive users
- $20 per month per casual user ($200 paid annually)
- 2,500 max rows per report
- $35 per month per report for 500 power users
- 500,000 data export rows per month
- Additional $50 per month per 1 million data export rows per month
- Unlimited verified projects
- 5 unverified projects
- Unlimited rank tracker reports
- 750 tracked keywords
- Weekly rank tracker updates
- Daily rank tracker updates at $100 per month
- Unlimited site audit reports
- 100,000 crawl credits per month
- 5 keyword lists
b) Standard subscription
This subscription costs $199 per month. However, if you choose to pay annually, you only pay $166 per month totaling up to $1,990 per year.
The package is designed for SEO professionals and in-house marketers.
Its features include all those in Lite plus:
- 6 months of history
- Position history chart
- SERP updates
- Site explorer
- Content explorer
- Batch analysis
- Domain comparison
- 30,000 max rows per report
- 1,500,000 data export rows per month
- 20 unverified projects
- 2,000 tracked keywords
- Daily rank tracker updates at $150 per month
- 50,000 crawl credits per month
- 50 keyword lists
c) Advanced subscription
Here, you have to pay $399 per month. You can also pay a discounted fee for the annual package at $333 per month rounding to $3,990 per year.
It contains indispensable tools for your business and more data allowance as it grows.
The package includes all those in Standard plus:
- 2 years of history
- Advanced site explorer options
- Google data studios
- Dashboard folders
- Ahrefs search
- 75,000 max rows per report
- 4,000,000 data export rows per month
- 50 unverified reports
- 5,000 tracked keywords
- Daily rank tracker updates at $200 per month
- 1,500,000 crawl credits per month
- 250,000 crawl credits per month per project
- 100 keyword lists
d) Enterprise subscription
This plan costs $999 per month. You can get it at a discounted price of $833 per month ($9,990 per year) when you pay for it annually.
The package was created for big agencies and enterprises.
The plan includes all features in Advanced plus:
- Unlimited history
- Access management
- Pay by invoice
- Directory listing
- Audit log
- 150,000 max rows per report
- 10,000,000 data export rows per month
- 100 unverified projects
- 10,000 tracked keywords
- Daily rank tracker updates at $250 per month
- 5,000,000 crawl credits per month
- $120 per month for each additional 1,000,000
- 5,000,000 max pages per project per month
- 250 keyword lists
Keep in mind that you can upgrade, downgrade or cancel your subscription anytime.
There are some automatic charges applied to your account in case you exceed your plan limits.
The money is paid in four currencies i.e. USD, EUR, GBP and JPY.
You can process this money through Visa, Master Card, American Express and Union Pay.